This Secret Ingredient Will Make Your Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Out of This World
Once you try this trick, you'll never go back!
I'm so proud of my husband! Not only did he agree to go to the Idaho Press's "Instant Pot Cooking School" with me last month, he conquered his fear of the Instant Pot because of it! We've had our electric pressure cooker for a little over a year and before Monday night, he'd only tried it once...with my supervision. Now that he's confident that he knew how to use it without it exploding in his face, he tried making a dish that we never got around to last St. Patty's Day - Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage!
Now, something you might not know about Nate? He's a bit of an amateur home chef and has the inability to simply follow a recipe. He always has to put his own twist on the meal. Well, this time around he discovered a secret ingredient that took one of the most popular Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage recipes on the internet to a whole 'nother level - Guinness!
Guinness is almost the unofficial beer of St. Patty's Day. Across the globe, over 13 million pints of it will be enjoyed on March 17...but it's also a great marinade! He soaked the brisket it overnight before proceeding with the rest of the recipe and it was unlike anything I've ever tasted before! If you want to impress your friends and family on Sunday, give his recipe a shot.
- 1 large can Guinness
- 1 small yellow onion, slived
- 1 heaping tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp pickling spice
- 2.5 cups water
- 4 lb corned beef brisket, rinsed
- 1 lb tiny potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 lb baby carrots
- Marinade rinsed corn beef brisket in Guinness in refrigerator for 24 hours
- Add onion, garlic, pickling spice and water into Instant Pot.
- Using a trivet, put brisket fat side-up on top of the onions.
- Pour Guinness marinade over meat.
- Close lid, set to sealing and cook at high pressure for 90 minutes. When cycle completes do a quick release.
- Strain cooking liquid and discard solids. Return 1.5 cups of the liquid back to the pot.
- Using a steamer basket, place potatoes, cabbage and carrots on top of brisket. Close lid, set to sealing and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Perform a quick release.
- Remove veggies and brisket. Slice and enjoy!