Recipe a Week Challenge: Steak With Ginger, Asparagus, Mushroom Saute
We're now more than two full weeks into the new year and I haven't broken up with my resolution yet!
Jen Austin dug up a tid-bit that says that for many people, it takes them about 66 days to develop a new habit or routine. In 2017, my normal after work routine usually consists of come home, start watching a movie and fall asleep in the middle of it.
2018's a little different. I started training for the Lake Lowell Marathon at the end of December and my training schedule has me running five days a week now. It's been a challenge to get back into that habit after being sidelined for almost five months with a hip injury. It's even harder to get in the routine of running to the grocery store to pick-up ingredients for dinner, but I'm not abandoning my goal of trying a new recipe a week for the entire year!
Last week I tried another healthy recipe (approved for Paleo and Keto diets.) This one pushed me out of my comfort zone because I've never cooked with fresh ginger before. The steak was simple to make, but to be honest it was the veggie saute that was the real winner. Nate actually asked me to make it again to serve with something he was making later in the week. We paired it with a nice Cabernet red wine.
Steak Medallions with Ginger, Asparagus and Mushroom Saute (via Paleo Flourish)
- 2 beef medallions
- 6 asparagus shoots, chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 onion chopped (I used a white onion for this one)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 Tbs fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- Rub beef medallions with salt.
- Grill to desired done-ness. I used a thinner steak and cooked each piece for about five minutes on a George Foreman indoor grill.
- Melt coconut oil in frying pan.
- Add onions and pan-fry until translucent.
- Add asparagus and mushrooms. Saute until soft.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and ginger. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Serve beef on top of veggies.