Recipe a Week Challenge: Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa [Recipe]
While most people are grumbling about their New Year's resolutions, mine's proving to be pretty delicious!
In our house Nate's definitely the chef so it's a common misconception that I can't cook. That couldn't be further from the truth. I can cook and am pretty good at it, but he loves experimenting with ingredients and putting a smile on people's faces with a tasty meal so I let him do his thing.
But hey, I needed some goals for the new year and one of those goals was to try a new recipe every week for the entire year. In theory, that means I should be able to cook 52 new things by the end of the year.
Not sure where to start for week, I got a little inspiration from inside our office. One of the on-air personalities from a sister station and his wife have decided to do the Whole30 reset to kick off their new year. Nate's also trying to drop a few pound before our wedding in August, so I figured a healthy recipe was a good place to start so I googled "Whole30 Recipes" and just picked one by the photos. This one stood out to me last week and it was a hit. Nate was a fan of this recipe's subtle spice. We paired it with a nice Cabernet red wine.
Whole30 Salmon with Avocado Salsa Recipe (via The Cookie Rookie)
Ingredients for Salmon
- 2 lbs salmon, cut into 4 pieces (I just grabbed 4 of the 5 oz filets from Albertsons)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
Instructions for Salmon
- Mix salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder and black pepper together.
- Rub salmon with olive oil and then seasoning mix
- Chill for 30 minutes
- Grill salmon to desired doneness.
Ingredients for Salsa
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- Fresh lime juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbs finely chipped cilantro
- Salt to taste
Instructions for Salsa
- Combine avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice and sale in a bowl
- Mix well
- Chill until ready to use
- Once salmon is done, top with avocado salsa