Recipe a Week Challenge: Coconut Lime Chicken
It takes 66 days for something to develop into a habit. For 23 days in, I'm not doing so bad with my New Year's Resolution to try one new recipe a week in 2018!
If you're one of our New Year's diet you make be starting to get bored with your meals. Does it seem like you're having some variation of the same protein over and over again? A few years back, I did a diet that didn't allow you to eat the same protein (like fish, beef, chicken, bison, etc) twice in the same day or two back to back days. It certainly wasn't the easiest program to follow, but that kept the meals from feeling bland.
So now that we've done salmon and beef, I figured it was time for a chicken dish! This dish is Thai inspired and packs a surprising amount of heat. This one is Paleo and Whole 30 approved. We paired it with a Pinot Noir.
My biggest tip? Make sure your chicken is actually cooked through all the way. Some of my fillets were a little under done. I was kind of embarrassed by that when my guy cut into it and it was still clucking.
Coconut Lime Chicken (via A Saucy Kitchen)
- 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts broken into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 cup organic chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk from a can
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper
- Melt coconut oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until browned on each side. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a plate.
- Add onion to same skillet and saute until soft, but not brown. Add chicken stock, lime juice, cilantro and chili flakes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Let simmer for five minutes to reduce down. Sauce should begin to thicken.
- Add chicken back to skillet. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Serve over your choice of rice or cauliflower rice (for dieters)