How To Stick To Your New Years Resolutions
Making a New Years Resolution is a something most of us do. We do it with great intentions, with enthusiasm and with all the hope in the world. When that enthusiasm wears off...then what? Here's how to stick to our goals and carry them through until we reach the goal we so badly wanted to reach.
- Pick a goal and write it down. Get specific about your goal. Like, if you want to lose weight, figure out what size you want to get to or how many pounds you want to lose. If you plan to keep in touch with friends, figure out how many you will connect with this week or this month. Put it in front of you and show yourself.
- Get to know your goal. If this is new to you, figure out the challenges you'll be facing or the mental roadblocks you may have running through your head. On the positive side, see what paths to take in order to reach that goal. Give yourself ammo. If you've done this before (hi, that's me and losing weight), figure out what your setbacks were and why you didn't reach your goal. Be honest with yourself. Side note: This won't be easy. There, now that you've faced it, you can move forward.
- Break down your goal. Pick that sucker apart. What happens every day in your life that will get you closer to your goal. Maybe grab yourself a planner and fill it out day by day or week by week. If you have a plan and know what you are expecting of yourself, you're better off.
- Write down how you feel. Bring back the diary. You can even start a blog. What about that? Be honest. You may be the only one seeing these words so if you're true to yourself, you're more likely to face it in a honest way. If you're kidding yourself, forget that goal - you're not taking it seriously. What's cool about the blog part (which is what I'm doing right now), is that you find people who connect with your struggles and successes. Having someone understand you makes all the difference in the world.
- Tell someone about your new plan. Accountability. You said it out loud and those friends, co-workers and family will ask you about them. On days you aren't feeling dedicated to reaching your goal, you can bet those around you will ask about it.
We can do this!