Tips to Prevent Porch Pirates This Christmas Season
For most people as we approach Thanksgiving and then Christmas it really is the most wonderful time of the year. Unfortunately, we also know this is the time of year that more packages get stolen from people's doorsteps. While the threat of going to jail is very real, most thieves aren't worried about the punishment. There are a few things you can do to try and deter porch pirates from taking things from outside your front door.
InsuranceQuotes released the alarming numbers that in November of 2017 there were 25.9 million Americans that had a delivery item stolen from their doorstep. Although delivery companies like UPS are trying to stop the issue by offering more flexible delivery options and times for their customers.
Here are some other tips that should help keep porch pirates away:
- Provide large things to hide packages behind such as planters or furniture. If packages aren't visible from the street, that will really help.
- While it can get expensive, you can always install a camera. More and more people are posting porch pirate videos online to shame the thieves.
- Have all packages delivered to your work. That should eliminate any packages being left unattended outdoors for multiple hours.
- Have the Post Office, UPS, or FedEx hold your packages at a nearby facility. This might be a small inconvenience but at least you will get your packages.
- Lastly, you could always ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home or your door for any packages you're expecting to receive.
Fingers crossed this is something you don't have to worry about but if you follow these tips it will help you decrease your chances of becoming a victim.