Cause of Knitting Factory Fire Identified; 60% of Interior Damaged
For some reason I can't shake the incredible feeling of sadness I have about the fire at Knitting Factory earlier this week.
Maybe because like so many of you, I've built some awesome memories in that concert house. In fact most of my extremely awkward interactions with my favorite artist of all time, Matt Nathanson happened there. The last time Matt played the Knit, he stopped at Cafe Darte before the show. The station just so happened to be set up for a broadcast there and my co-worker recognized him. He stopped to tell Matt that the station's morning show girl was coming to the concert tonight and was completely, over the top, possibly stalkeresque obsessed with him. After a few glasses of wine in the Sky Box during the show, I felt bold enough to tell Matt "you met one of my co-workers today" during our meet and greet. As the words were leaving my mouth, I immediately started thinking "SHUT UP MICHELLE!" remembering that said co-worker made me sound like a crazy person. It was awkward, but led to this adorable photo of us!
It'll be a while until any of us can build Knitting Factory memories like that again. According to KIVI-TV, around 60% of the interior of the building sustained smoke, fire and water damage on Tuesday. Boise Fire says the official start of the fire was a contractor working on the HVAC system. While cutting material, a spark escaped and hit combustible material inside the ducting. The fire eventually progressed into the floor boards and second story wall.
But the show will go on! Knitting Factory plans on relocating the concerts scheduled for their venue. Tonight's concert has been moved to the Revolution Concert House. In a statement on their Facebook page, they encourage concert goers to check their website and social media accounts for updates on changes for upcoming shows.
The Knitting Factory was going under renovations that would allow almost 200 additional concert goers to attend shows at the venue.