Idaho Ranks #41 On A New List, But This Time It’s A Good Thing
We hear all the time that Idaho is in the top of places to live, great communities, and health and wellness across the country. This time, we're 41st in the US for child deaths.
Idaho has one of the lowest rates in the country, the leading cause in our state being physical birth defects and short gestational periods or low birth weights. The leading cause of death of Idaho kids 1 to 17 are general accidents and suicide.
Top safety tips for parents from the Child Deaths in Idaho report include:
- Children under the age of 13 should ride in the back seat.
- Riding int he bed of a pick-up truck should be avoided.
- Teens need to develop and practice safe driving habits.
- Closely monitor children while swimming or playing near open water.
- Ensure children complete swimming lessons to accomplish this.