Ontario High School has become the latest victim of "swatting," a term I was unfamiliar with until today. According to the dictionary, swatting means "making a prank call to emergency services in an attempt to get large numbers of armed police officers to a certain address."

Swatting is against the law and is dangerous. If many emergency services go to a location because of a false report, they are unavailable for someone who may desperately need them. It is also costly, and in California, swatters are responsible for paying the entire cost, which is often over $10,000.

The Ontario High School incident was part of a more significant problem. Today, numerous schools in Southern Oregon had swatting incidents that resulted in lockdowns. We can only imagine that there will be copycat incidents throughout neighboring states, including Idaho, in the coming days. That doesn't mean that the schools should take the threats less seriously. It should, however, concern us as parents for a "boy that cried wolf" situation happening. You would hate for the police departments to be so used to getting swatting calls that they don't take a real call seriously. That is another reason that swatting is dangerous, not just a funny prank costing taxpayers money. At one point today, the Douglas County School District had locked down several schools while the Sheriff's Department tried to clear each one. This is resulting in panic among students and parents in the area.  

Tonight would be an excellent night to discuss these things with your junior high and high school students so that this behavior doesn't start in the Treasure Valley.

5 Twisted Idaho True Crime Stories That Made National TV

The 7 Criminals on Idaho's Death Row and Their Disgusting Crimes

Held in their 12'x7' cells 23 hours a day, these are the seven people currently on death row in Idaho. Idaho has performed three executions since 1977.

Is This Unsolved Idaho Crime More Horrific Than Jeffrey Dahmer?

In 1979, 12-year-old Christina Lee White went missing in Asotin, Washington, and hasn’t been seen since. It was this disappearance that marked the beginning of what is known as the “Lewis Clark Valley murders” that plagued parts of Washington and Idaho from 1979 to 1982.

More From 107.9 LITE FM