Say It With Me…Just Breathe!
November is National Stress Free Family Holiday Month -- The number one cause of holiday stress is spending too much money! That's the word from a recent FranklinCovey survey asking over 15,000 customers what causes them stress during the most wonderful time of the year. 87% admitted that holiday activities do cause stress, while 49% confessed to being relieved when it was all over. Here are the top 10 most stressful holiday activities in ranked order of most stressful to least stressful:
- Spending too much money
- Creating a specific holiday budget
- Deciding what gift to buy for whom
- Managing workload to take time off
- Not enough time to shop
- Not enough time for events
- Sending gifts and cards on time
- Taking care of physical well-being
- Relationships with family, friends and co-workers
- Decorating for or hosting a holiday party
"The key to avoiding stress during the holiday season is to create a manageable, written plan for the holidays that includes events, budgeting, shopping, traditions and quality time with friends and family. Make sure your plan allows you and your loved ones to enjoy the holiday season -- your way," said professional organizer Julie Morgenstern, author of "Organizing From the Inside Out." "Without a plan, you can easily go over budget, waste time searching for the perfect gift, and abandon your own well-being. Be prepared before you take on the season."