Recipe a Week Challenge: Greek Bison Burgers
I may never make regular hamburgers again after trying this recipe for Week 5 of my recipe a week challenge!
Did you see Shalane Flanagan in the Michelob ULTRA "I Like Beer" commercial during the Super Bowl last night? The Olympian and New York City Marathon champion actually squealed when the beer giant asked to be part of their commercial, because like the song suggests...she likes beer! It's a well known fact that one of her post race meals is a burger and a beer. And let's be honest, you don't have to run a marathon to thing that those two things are the perfect couple!
I'd been craving a good burger for a couple of weeks and thought with the warm temperatures last week, it'd be a perfect opportunity to grill up some of Shalane's favorite burgers. Inspired by traditional Greek dishes, these were another slam dunk from Shalane's Run Fast, East Slow cook book. I was really surprised how much the oregano changed the taste of a regular bison burger. If you struggle getting enough iron in your diet, bison has been known to help bump those levels.
FYI, before you spend and hour wandering around Albertsons trying to find the pita bread to serve the burgers in they're in front of the salad case. On my fourth trip through the bread aisle trying to find them, there just so happened to be a friendly Albertsons employee restocking shelves, so I finally caved and asked. We paired this dish with a Petite Sirah wine.
Greek Bison Burgers (via Run Fast, Eat Slow and Rodale Wellness)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano pr 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground bison
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- Preheat grill to medium-high
- In large mixing bowl, combine egg, feta, almond flour, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add meat and mix together with your hands, but don't overwork the mixture.
- Form 4 patties about 1 inch thick.
- Grill burgers and warm pitas.
- Stuff pita with burger and add your toppings. I chose to use some red and yellow bell peppers, extra crumbled feta and an avocado cream that I made by mashing up avocado and 1 tablespoon of lime juice.